We explain what a word processor is and a bit of history about this computer tool. In addition, its advantages and some examples.
What is a word processor?
The text processor is a type of program or computer application whose main function is to create or modify text documents, written on a computer.
It could be said that a word processor is the modern version of a typewriter, with many more functions and versatility. In a word processor you can work with different fonts (fonts) as well as sizes, colors, text formats, effects, insert images, tables, etc.
The texts that are processed in these programs are stored on the computer as a text file that is usually called documents. It also allows you to save them on other media, such as a pen drive or a floppy disk in the past. In turn, the program allows you to directly print the files .
Another important function that these processors have is the possibility of spelling and grammar correction, in addition to having dictionaries that facilitate the task of the writer.
It can serve you: Microsoft Word.
A little history about the word processor
These programs were among the first that were created when personal computers were introduced in the market. In the beginning they only allowed the entry of text, without images or effects, and they evolved over the years. These programs were developed before mathematical needs rather than computer science.
In 1964 IBM created the first magnetic typewriter that allowed text correction without retyping everything. IBM sold its invention as a "word processing machine", hence the name that these applications are known today.
In 1970 IMB also created the diskettes that marked a before and after in computing. These floppy disks could store more text pages (up to 100) than in the past.
Advantages of a word processor
- In the first place, with a word processor we can edit a text, choose the typeface, the font size, highlighting tools (bold for example), among other possibilities that give the text agility.
- It is also possible to align the text, choose the space between paragraphs and line spacing, incorporate elements such as images, hyperlinks, headers and footers, page breaks, shapes, and so on.
- They also offer spell checkers and dictionaries to find synonyms or translate words from one language to another.
- It is possible to insert images and graphics into the same text.
- They also allow the creation of tables, make lists with numbering or bullet points.
Word Processor Examples
Currently, the most commonly used word processors are:
- Word from Microsoft.