We explain what freedom and debauchery are. What are the types of freedom and their limits. What is negative and positive freedom.
What is Freedom?
The concept of freedom comes from the Latin word liber, which means that person who has an active procreation spirit. This definition is linked to sexual maturity, so it could be considered obsolete.
Currently, the term freedom is linked to that power that people have to act according to their own will . Due to the history of mankind, this concept can also be applied to refer to those people who are not imprisoned or in a state of slavery.
- Expand: 10 Characteristics of freedom.
Types of freedom
Freedom is a word that is used in various aspects, so it charges more specific definitions. For example, you can talk about:
- Freedom of association It refers to the faculty that people have to form organizations, associations or groups that have legitimate objectives to achieve.
- Freedom of movement Term that refers to the possibility that human beings have to move freely in different parts of the planet, either from one country to another or within it.
- Freedom of expression. It has to do with the ability of people to express themselves, investigate, disseminate, receive information and opinions and give their opinion without being bothered by this.
- Freedom to carry weapons. It has to do with the right that people have to be able to carry, transport and use weapons for sports or defense purposes provided that this does not legally harm third parties.
- Sexual freedom It refers to the ability of people to choose their own sexuality.
- Freedom of the press. It has to do with the ability of individuals to organize themselves in order to create a means of communication in which published content cannot be censored as well as controlled by the State and its powers.
- Freedom of worship Related to the freedom that people have to be able to choose a religion, not to choose any or to believe or not in the existence of some divine being. At the same time, this freedom implies that people can openly and publicly practice this choice without being oppressed, persuaded or discriminated against.
- Freedom of business It refers to companies linked to the market economy, based on rationalist ethics linked to individual freedom.
- Freedom of usufruct of the property. It is that freedom that people or business entities have to have, obtain, use, dispose or control objects, capital, land or other property.
- Academic freedom. It refers to the ability to practice teaching with absolute freedom when teaching and discussing without limitations or restrictions.
More in: Types of freedom.
What is debauchery?
When talking about the term freedom, it is necessary to differentiate it from debauchery, which refers to those behaviors or acts that are characterized by being carried out regardless of how they will affect the rest of society, that break the law and that are immoral.
This makes the concept of debauchery, although it implies the exercise of freedom, has a negative connotation for its immorality and debauchery .
How to enhance freedom?
- Knowledge. Being a holder of information, having exceeded the limits of their surroundings, looking and reflecting on the obvious, investigating, investigating, etc., are important points to have both more possibilities and arguments. to choose and even more dreams to yearn for.
- Value. Fear is one of the most powerful feelings and the main impediment to dare to make decisions, sometimes it even works as a way to freeze human behavior. Therefore it is necessary to learn to recognize and face it.
- Passion It encompasses all those intense emotions that acted as an engine that guided through life. Not all are positive feelings, for example: joy, anger, anger, love.
- Responsibility. It is to be aware of the acts themselves, assume consequences and results of the decisions themselves. Nothing is random, everything is a product of actions, as long as this is kept in mind, it will be possible to change one's destiny.
- Balance. It is the fullness of being and allows us to make better decisions, it is the best ally, since any psychic problem or psychological distress can interfere in the search for freedom.
Limits of freedom
It sounds contradictory, but you can't be completely free, why?
- It will make living together difficult. You must act as long as the other's limits are not exceeded or the freedom of others is limited. This is called respect for individual freedom.
- Regulatory entities The study of the nature of freedom, its extension and barriers, has shown that it is important to have an "objective" external regulation, such as laws, government. Otherwise, the limits will be lost.
- The experience. There is a belief that consists in the fact that if man is left free, he will respect others, because it is his nature, since he adapts and learns to live without norms established by power. However, history has shown that in anarchic periods it has been impossible to find the intermediate point between one's own needs and that of others, resulting in chaos and violence.
Expand: The limits of freedom.
Freedom in a negative way
It is the one that was born due to the absence of repression, that is, there is no opposition to a third party (group or external entity such as the government, State, etc.) so that the others Express your behavior freely.
Sometimes human disabilities are often understood within negative freedom, but it is not so, it is free even without some physical abilities.
Freedom in a positive way
It is the opposite of the negative, in this aspect, it consists in mastering one's own will, being the people the creators of their own life, taking responsibility for their destiny.
Here you are aware of both the limits and the tools and both are managed in order to overcome obstacles. If there is a word that supports it perfectly, that is self-realization.
While it is the opposite of the negative, both are complementary, since through the absence of negative freedom, positive freedom is favored, which is understood as an impact.