We explain everything about the animals that live in the jungle, examples, what they eat and the characteristics that allow them to adapt to their environment.
What are the animals of the jungle?
By jungle animals we refer to those that make tropical or temperate rainforests their habitat . That is to say, they live in places of humid climate and tending to hot, whose plants usually grow to important heights and have lush, abundant and always green (evergreen) glasses.
In these jungles or jungles, especially around the tropics, an impressive amount of species comes to life which results in very high biodiversity margins. In fact, almost half of the planet's known species are found in the jungles .
Of course, this means that the animals that inhabit the jungle of one continent and those that inhabit the jungles of another are essentially different. However, they share many adaptive characteristics, given the climatic, biological and other similarities that exist between the different forests of the world.
It should also be clarified that the terms selva, jungle and rainy tropical forest are essentially synonymous, and there is no agreement Regarding when to talk about forest and when about jungle, beyond that established by the speakers of each specific region.
It can serve you: Wild animals
Characteristics of jungle animals
The animals that inhabit the jungles are, more than any other habitat outside the sea, diverse. It is estimated that about 1, 500 different species of animals inhabit a single hectare of rainforest, including mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, insects and even fish.
This very high concentration of animal species is not fully known, and they form complex, vast ecological circuits, of which many times man has little knowledge.
Given the important vegetal presence of the forests, which can reach up to 30 meters high, the animal species are very adapted for life in the trees or from them. There they make their nests, feed on their bark, their products, their leaves or animals that feed on them.
The species are organized territorially between the leafy region of the treetops; the lower region or undergrowth, overshadowed by foliage; and the terrestrial region more attached to the soil, amid the abundant organic matter in decomposition, such as dried leaves.
The trophic chains of the jungle are usually fast, voracious and involve numerous possible combinations of species, since the jungles are hotbeds of life in constant and mutual interrelation.
What do jungle animals eat?
In the jungles, as in many other biotopes, there are four main trophic groups of animals, which are:
- Herbivores They feed exclusively on plant matter, be it leaves, stems, fruits, flower nectar, seeds, bark, etc.
- Carnivores They feed on the meat of other animals, mostly herbivores, but also other smaller carnivores and omnivores.
- Scavengers They feed on decaying organic matter, whether of plant or animal origin, such as animal secretions, dead animals, etc.
- Omnivores They combine all the previous categories as the opportunity presents itself, without being restricted by a specific diet.
List of jungle animals
Below is a list of animals that inhabit the jungle:
- Orangutan ( Pongo abelii )
- Jaguar ( Panthera onca )
- Leopard ( Panthera pardus )
- Piranhas ( Pygocentrusnattereri )
- Tapir ( Tapirusterrestris )
- Indian elephant ( Elephasmaximus )
- Chimpanc ( Pan troglodytes )
- Lazy Bear ( Choloepusdidactylus )
- Orinoco caiman ( Crocodylusintermedius )
- Tuc n ( Ramphastos played )
- Gorilla ( Gorillagorilla )
- Lemur ( Lemurcatta )
- Tiger ( Panthera tigris )
- Armadillo ( Dasypusnovemcinctus )
- Leaf Cutter Ant ( Attasexdens )
- Anaconda snake ( Eunectesmurinus )
- Macaw ( Ara macao )
- Spider monkey ( Ateles paniscus )
- Emerald Boa ( Coralluscaninus )
- Python real ( Python regius )
- Tarnule ( Lycosatarantula )
- Red-eyed Frog ( Agalychniscallidryas )
- Harpy Eagle ( Harpiaharpyja )
- Amazon Vampire Bat ( Vampyrumspectrum )
- Madagascar giant chameleon ( Furciferoustaleti )
- Animals of the forest
- Sea animals
- Desert animals